June 02, 2013

What I'm loving right now : Lily Elsie

I love these posts where I just speak about my random interests, and it's been a while since I've done one of them. And today I've got the perfect subject to talk about ; a lovely lady I discovered a some time ago.

Her name is Lily Elsie.



She was an English actress and singer, very famous in the Edwardian times.
She became famous in 1907 when she acted in the operetta Merry Widow, in London. She quickly became a very popular figure and was pictured in a lot of magazines and advertisements at the time.
She took part in a lot of shows and even performed in two movies : "The Great Love" in 1918 and "Comradeship", in 1919. I would love to see those films !

Her pictures were used on hundreds of postcards. These are the most vivid memories we have of her, and a lot of vintage and Edwardian times lovers are here to remind us all of this fascinating lady.

I love her pictures. She has a perfect face, and amazing melancholic eyes. I'm also fascinated by her style, the way her hair is styled, with a hat or not. And her clothes and dresses are wonderful, the one on the first picture up here must have been stunning ! No wonder she was one of the most photographed women of her time.
Here are a few pictures of her I fell in love with :





This hairstyle and hat are amazing !







And a last one ! This one is quite different because Lily Elsie is wearing a suit. I find it funny that she is wearing what at the time was still considered a man's outfit. She still looks beautiful in it !



I took some extra info about Elsie in this very complete website : www.lily-elsie.com.


Julia xx

No comments:

Post a Comment