March 06, 2013

DIY jewellery storage

Hello !

This article will be another DIY ! I'm usually not a handy person, but it seems that a strange DIY spirit has appeared in me lately. That's a good thing though !
And today's DIY is a jewellery storage - or in fact some jewellery storage, as there are several pieces.
I don't have enough space in my room to have a proper jewellery hanger, like a tree where you can put the necklaces or bracelets on the branches. I have to keep all my jewellery in a box... but everything was tangled in there, as you may imagine ! So I decided to make little paper pockets to put every single piece of jewellery (how many times will I be writing this word today ?) I have.
I used my precious Cath Kidston dupe paper, a pair of scissors, a pencil, a ruler, adhesive tape and glue, and finally a punched pocket.


The first thing to do is to cut a rectangle in the paper ; it has to be quite big because you'll have to fold it in two.
So you cut your piece of paper, and then you fold it in two, but you have to leave a space of about 1cm on the side of your paper.
Then you cut about 1cm at the bottom of the paper, and another 1cm at the top. The bottom bit will be folded to close the paper. On the top bit, you take the bigger side of the paper and cut the sides like the top of an envelope : it will be the bit that closes and opens the pocket to put your jewellery.


After you've done that, you take the bigger side of the paper, and you cut a square in the middle of it. You should have something like this :


You take your punched pocket and cut a square of the size of the square you have in your paper, and put it on the "inside" part of your paper (with the adhesive paper, the glue won't work). Finally, you stick the side and the bottom parts of the paper, and that's all !

The final result looks like that :


It is not the neatest thing you could find but I still think it's okay and very cute to put your stuff in.
I made several of these, of different sizes, to put my necklaces, bracelets and earrings.

So let's make a before/after of my jewellery box : 

  • Before :
Messy !!


  • After :
That's better !

Well you can see that everything is not in a pocket yet ; that's because I ran out of my pretty paper and I'm waiting until I buy some more to finish. I'll be making other pockets when I have new paper !
I'm really happy with this storage, because it makes it more easy to pick up some jewellery out of the box - when everything was just thrown in there I had to search for things and take everything out to pick one piece, and that bothered me a lot. Now it won't happen anymore !

Julia xx

No comments:

Post a Comment